Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Today's Blog is brought to you by the letter "I"

Howdy Truck FANatics!

So, it's blogging time again.  At the last truck rally, I was accused, in a playful manner, of writing incendiary comments on the blog.  I am not normally one for hindsight or introspection but this got me thinking: am I becoming a negative Nancy in my writing?  I looked through my assorted meanderings and there was a reoccurring theme of reactionism.  The blog has become where I could publically air all my grievances. 

This came about for a few reasons - If someone thoroughly torqued me off I could respond in a manner befitting my rank and station as a chef - anonymously and in a larger context of a social setting.  This is in lieu of grabbing said customer, dragging them through the window and immersing in the deep fryer until their feet stop kicking.

Also, I work better through a medium.  If given the opportunity, I make great food.  I can write with some level of skill.  I am even decent on TV and Radio.  In person, unedited, I tend to come off as aloof and arrogant.  Probably because I am.  I have spent the last twelve years of my life working a minimum of 60+ hours a week either manning or captaining modern era pirate ships.  This is not the environment to build social graces.

The final reason is that as every newspaper knows, righteous indignation and an inflammatory topic sells.  Unicorns and rainbows just don't cut it.  Even the Carebears got cancelled.  I may only have a handful of readers but I want them to be interested and involved in the topic.

That being said, this blog is about saying thank you. 

First and foremost:  Payette Brewing Company - Mike, Jake and Sheila - you guys are awesome.  Since the very beginning you have been the single greatest driving factor for food truck success in Boise.  You hosted our Grand Opening, have food trucks out at your tasting room every week and are just generally great human beings.  Everyone who was attended and enjoyed the Food Truck Rallies owe Payette Brewing their gratitude.  The truck operators don't organize these things.  We don't have time.  P.B.C. has taken it upon themselves to organize and advertise these events and do a fantastic job.  Thank you from the bottom of my dried out, wrinkly black heart.  If any of my followers have NOT been out to the tasting room, make it a destination.  Did I mention they have beer?  And food trucks?  And TV? 

Boise Weekly:  Boise Weekly, I know we have had our ups and downs, which culminated in me e-ssassinating one of your staffers.  But you still deserve a huge cyber hug from myself and all the food truck operators in town.  Without your willingness and backing of all the trucks, our exposure wouldn't be anywhere near where we are today.  Boise Weekly does a massive ad for the food truck rally once a month and pushes the trucks to the public.  Your efforts have made a huge difference in not only our business, but all the trucks in town.  Thank you.

Radio Boise:  Another huge supporter of the Food Truck Rallies.  Thank you for everything and the massive, redonkulous generator.  If we ever need to jumpstart Lucky Peak Dam, that thing should do the job.  Thank you for being supporters of the trucks and of independent life in Boise as a whole.

Traditional Press:  Thank you to the Idaho Statesman and the Idaho Press Tribune.  I appreciate you jumping into our corner.

Don't forget all the locations that have hosted trucks and truck rallies.  Idaho Foodbank, Random vacant lot on Grove, Red Lion Downtown, North End Nursery, Random vacant lot #2 on Chinden, thank you for letting us set up and party.

And the most important thank you of all:  To all our customers, repeats and new alike.  Thank you.  Thank you for taking a chance on a "Grilled Cheese" with pulled pork.  Thank you for eating out of a truck at all.  It would make my life a lot easier if I had a defined demographic to campaign to, but that's the crazy thing: I don't.  Our customer base spans generations and a broad economic spectrum.  It was very confusing and humbling to be so off in the estimation of who would eat at a truck.  So thank you for your business, and I hope to see you back.  Whether it is at one of our many summer events or a food truck rally, we appreciate your support and couldn't do it without you.

Good "I" words:
incendiary
inflammatory
introspection
indignation
interested
involved

And we now return to our regularly scheduled Negative Nancy programming. (National Anthem...Static)

2 comments:

  1. Great article! Can't wait for March 9th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no problem with the occasional warm and fuzzy post. Of course, it helps if I agree with the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete